View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 07:32 PM
mjpEncinitas

My best friend is flying in tomorrow. She’s going to make her first quilt using boom blocks from 2018 or 2019. She picked out the focus fabric and red companion fabric to go with it. It’s going to be a medallion quilt. I made a big Hawaiian block for the center.

She’ll start on Wednesday; she gets a crash course on using a sewing machine and sewing a scant 1/4 “. She also gets a crash course on Learning how to use a rotary cutter to cut borders. hopefully she’ll get all the sashing between the boom blocks done and add three plain borders. I’ll help if I think it isn’t going fast enough. We will do a walk and strength training

On Thursday we’ll shop in the morning for backing fabric and extra fabric for the last 16”border. Then Thursday afternoon, we have a quilting bee. Three sewers, and two minions will hopefully get the last 16” border made for this king sized quilt and get the binding cut and ironed. The border is just going to be squares of various sizes. It will have a random look. Four of us have done this exact border before. So I’m hopeful. Then if we have time the five of us pin baste the three layers together. The minions do all the cutting and ironing. Pizza is supplied. Everyone will either have played tennis in the morning or done a long walk.

Friday we pin baste if we didn’t get it done Thursday, recruiting my husband and son to help if needed. Then we go to the exercise class i teach. Kathy gets a quick lesson on using a mid arm machine. She will do some stitch in the ditch with thread that blends. If it’s too hard for her to do on the mid arm, we’ll use a walking foot on a regular machine. We will pick out a busy backing so the quilting won’t show on the back.

Saturday she finishes the stitch in the ditch. Then, I take over and do some fancy FMQ, while Kathy sews the binding strips together. Tennis and walking.

Sunday is the catch-up day for FMQ. We might go watch the minions play tennis in league play on a team I captain. Walking, stretching and strength training for us.

Monday the binding goes on. Maybe we’ll play pickle ball.

Kathy leaves with the quilt and the sewing machine she used to do the piecing. We bought the machine at the thrift store. and rehabbed it and she might even have a new strength and stretch routine to do at home. I get to teach two of my favorite things

Do you think we even have a chance of making this work?

im really looking forward to it. I’ll post pictures.