View Single Post
Old 02-18-2022, 03:32 AM
tallchick

I am certainly not filthy rich, I think everyone has things they spend money on like eating out, smoking, travel, alcohol, collecting things, etc. . This can be a expensive hobby especially now days with prices on the rise. I have a stash I have accumulated over the years, IMHO, a quilt can only be used one side at a time and I have no issue using good quality muslin or a nice sheet for a backing to save on cost. If someone were to complain about a backing then they certainly won’t appreciate the effort I put into the top, and chances are they would not be deemed Quilt Worthy by me. I shop sales and use coupons extensively, and I have a longarm in which to quilt my own quilts because my ex insisted that I have everything I wanted for quilting and purchased it for me.

I am not quilting as much as I used to and I am exploring new hobbies, but I do plan to continue quilting. I am a person who prefers solitude so I don’t spend money on eating out, clothes, makeup or on social activities etc. . Lots of people hit thrift stores in search of cotton shirts, sheets, fabric etc for quilts and don’t forget Estate sales. I think many quilters are happy to piece their backings from scraps, use muslin (do try Legacy Premium Muslin from Joann) or a nice low thread count sheet. Where there is a will there is a way that will work.