Old 02-18-2022, 12:39 PM
berrynice

I made my very first quilt when I was a senior in high school. A neighbor gave me a bunch of scraps (she was a seamstress) and I cut all of the fabric into different size squares and pieced them together into a (then - a bedspread sized quilt) so, queen size I would say. I had no idea what I was doing. I used a flannel blanket for the batting and a sheet for the backing, and then hand tied the quilt through each of the intersections of the squares. I was so proud of it.

I ended up getting married not long after I finished it. I had it on our bed and had told my then husband how I really enjoyed making it and was really proud of the work I did on it.

Anyhow, long story short, I came home one day and noticed that the quilt wasn't on the bed anymore and I asked him where it was. -- He heartlessly told me he didn't want to lay on the muddy ground when he changed the oil in his truck, so he used it and if I wanted it, I could dig it out of the trash heap behind the barn. When I went to get it, I was so heartbroken as apparently he had dumped the entire pan of old oil on it before he rolled the muddy quilt up in a ball and tossed it into the heap.

It didn't mean a thing to him..... when I asked him why didn't he use one of the mats in the garage, he just shrugged and told me to get over it. Needless to say, he has long been my ex, for many reasons.

Years ago, I was blessed to meet and have been happily married to a wonderful, loving man who totally appreciates and encourages me on my quilt making and in all I do, and I him.