View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Bobbinwinder

Originally Posted by weezie
Originally Posted by b.zang
I've been reading a book on quilts across Canada, and found this quote. I'm curious about the reactions of you quilters out there.

"My goal is to make at least one real quilt a year. I define a real quilt not by the standard definition: 'three layers joined together with stitching,' but rather by its importance in my life. If the quilt is calling out to me to be made, it if is for someone I love, or has significant meaning for me, and if I need to spend countless hours making it, then it is a real quilt!"

Hunt, Gail P. Quiltworks across Canada, p. 3. (a great book, by the way)

My reaction is that I would rather categorize my quilts by their importance in my life rather than their "reality". Is this because I'm not an art quilter? Is this because I'm still learning and feel that so far my quilts haven't yet "arrived"? I'm not quite sure. Even the quilts of significance that I've made have their flaws. Are real quilts flawless?
Gail P. Hunt said a real quilt is defined by its importance in her life. You are saying exactly the same thing ... up to a point and then I become confused.
Thanks so much for posting, Weezie, I thought I read the same thing too!