View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

I have been quilting for 30 years. Over that time I have developed some shortcuts that I like to share.

Now some may say why are you sharing this as it was in the Boston Book I had to buy. Well the Bookmark tutorial that was put on the Quilted Paradise Newsletter was a free introduction to the Boston Book. My "Blocks" are only included as they are needed but the book is more about how to use the block rather than the directions to make the block. So I am offering the free "Block" Tute here for my Boston Blocks. This one was named by me because it goes to make up a Boston Star quilt block. It can be used to make all sorts of quilt blocks.

If you want to know more about anything you see here just pm me or use my email address in my signature to send me an email.

Introduction to my Cut Down Method

The cut down means you sew fabric together and then you cut out a square from the center with a template.

The BOSTON BLOCK

Cut two swatches larger than half of the size of your template. Then sew them together. One light and one medium value color.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1054[/ATTACH]

Cut a straight edge and then sew the dark swatch onto the bottom of the joined swatches
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1119[/ATTACH]

Lay the joined fabric on a mini mat and cut out the square. Rotate the mat after each cut til you have all four sides cut out. Make sure the template doesn't move and make sure you cut close to the template as accurately as possible.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1320[/ATTACH]

Cut a swatch as long as the two joined fabric and as wide as half of your template on point.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1366[/ATTACH]

Lay your template on the joined fabric and match two opposite corners on the template with the seam.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1389[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1054.jpe   attachment-1117.bmp   attachment-1119.jpe   attachment-1320.jpe   attachment-1366.jpe  

attachment-1389.jpe