View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 01:33 PM
grammypatty7

Originally Posted by gmak1953
I have issues with a stroke and possible MS. I have been quilting for 10 years but when I read how people have a quilt to make in 3 months, I feel so inadequate! It seems to take me forever!! So how long does it take you to make quilts?
Don't be concerned about how long it takes. Just enjoy the process. If you enjoy quilting and if it's good for you, then it's worth however much time it takes. I've completed a baby quilt in 4 but taken as long as 35 years to complete a quilt because I had a lot of learning to do before I was ready to go back and reconstruct that very first quilt. During my working years it took me 18 months to 4 years to complete a queen sized quilt, a year for a twin quilt. I machine piece and hand quilt. Time isn't a factor but the love that goes into a quilt. If I were under a time line, I'd have difficulty because life can and frequently gets in the way so I start a quilt and when it's finished it is finished but I do keep working away on it until it is completed. I have 3 in the finishing stages.
1. just needs the tag which I'll work on when I finish email today and it'll be ready for show and tell at quilting tomorrow.
2. needs to have the border (already cut) pieced and attached and then I can attach to the quilt and get it quilted - I quilt as you go in panels. Then bind it off and it's done. Sind I plan to machine quilt the border with a fancy stitch, I figure it should be done in a 2 weeks or less and I started it last July but have also worked on other projects.
3. have a top ready to sandwich 59x59 throw. I may do some machine quilting on it and then do detail hand quilting to finish it off.
4. getting ideas in my mind and ready to start on a queen sized quilt.

Just relax, don't put pressure on yourself as it's not good for MS and enjoy the process.

Hugs
Patty