View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 09:48 PM
Railroadersbrat

Default Question about Vinyl

Hoping this is the right spot for this. I have a question, hoping I can get some insight.

I have been working on a quilted organizer that I want to use for my GFG hexagons that uses clear vinyl for the pockets and I came across an issue that kind of scared me enough that I stopped using it and replaced the pockets with fabric. I'm using my Brother machine to put this together.

I got a couple of presser feet to help, a Teflon and then a roller that I admit are not Brother feet. When I started sewing binding on the vinyl with the Teflon (I tried the roller foot first and didn't like that I couldn't see where my needle was), my machine started making this horrible half grinding, half squeaking noise. It was feeding fine (I used the paper trick to keep the vinyl moving) and making the stitches fine, but that noise scared me so bad that I ditched the vinyl and made fabric pockets instead.

My machine hasn't made that noise since, I put on a Brother foot to finish, I still have to put the main zipper together and get it sewn on and I'll be finished, but has anyone ever come across using a foot that wasn't made by your sewing machine's manufacturer and the machine started making weird noises? Or was it that my machine didn't like the vinyl? I'm seriously confused, I've never had this happen before.