View Single Post
Old 04-21-2022, 04:05 AM
JoanPD

Originally Posted by berrynice View Post
Do you still have an overhang of batting and backing on all sides of at least a few inches if you are hand quilting or FMQ on a domestic machine. If not, I would redo. If you are going to get it quilted on a long arm, I would make sure you have enough batting and backing overhang as they require.
When I first started basting, I had that overhang on all sides, but I didn't realize the top was slightly skewed, so when I got to the far corner, there is a bit of backing overhang, but not backing overhand.

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
I would take the mostly-basted sandwich over to my machine and stitch on an extra bit of fabric to the backing to make it longer. you don't have to undo or unroll anything as long as you have the space to maneuver the rolls. Then once that is stitched on, you will have a long enough backing and you can finish basting.
Of course you could not do that and just trim it to size when you are done, but that depends on how much it will upset you in the end.
I would be hesitant to un-baste it all, being that you would stretch and distort the fabric, rip the batting, loosen seams and threads, etc.
It won't look weird to have a small amount pieced to only one side of the quilt for a few inches?