Old 04-22-2022, 05:40 AM
SuzSLO

I find that when quilting on my standard throat DSM, it is the bulk, more than the weight*, that makes it difficult to quilt because the quilting is done in a relatively small area at a time. But then, all my quilts have small and lots of pieces. And I have switched to a 80/20 batting from 100% cotton because it just a little easier to wrangle the bulk. I have attached a photo of the quilting I did with a walking foot on the string-pieced border of Bonnie Hunter’s Grassy Creek (2020-2021 mystery quilt). At the end of the day, it’s just another skill that you get better at with practice.

* I do have a lightweight mechanical that was my only sewing machine when I started quilting. Weight mattered a lot with this machine. I found myself having to stop every once in a while to reposition my machine, as it tended to be pulled towards the back of the table as I was sewing. I got tired of the sew, sew sew, drag the machine back towards me, sew, sew, routine and bought a bulkier machine and a big ol’ sewing table.
Attached Thumbnails img_0073.jpg