View Single Post
Old 04-23-2022, 08:19 AM
sewingpup

I just keep my scraps less than a fat quarter in clear boxes or gallon baggies separated by color. When I find a project I want to do, I go to the scrap bags of color and pick the colors I am going to use, then I pull out the ones that I can cut into the sizes I need for the project. When I am done with the project, I then put any left over pieces cut to size say 2.5 inch squares, 1.5 inch strips and put them in a clear plastic shoe box that is holding that specific size. Any color, theme goes in these as long as it is the same size. I do have separate boxes of colors all mixed together for strings less than 2.5 inches and selvage edges. fat quarters or more are folded and stacked in my book cases or stacked on edge in drawers. Anything 1 yard or bigger is folded using rulers and stacked in the book cases, I have three sizes of folds. 1-1 plus yards folded around a 6 inch ruler and folded in half, 2 plus yards is folded around a 8.5 ruler folded in half, and anything big enough to be a backing is simply folded and a small piece of paper with the yardage marked on it is pinned to a corner. I used to try and cut all scraps into common sizes right away but found the sorting by color more useful to me and then cutting as needed. I do have an accuquilt and use that. If the scrap makes more than what I need, I just then stick the left over squares, strips into the size boxes.