View Single Post
Old 05-04-2022, 10:02 AM
JanieW

Originally Posted by EphrataQuilter View Post
I recently purchased a Janome 1600P. It came with an assortment of HLx5 Organ needles. After several hours of use, the thread started shredding, so I figured it was time to change the needle. I can't tell the needles apart that came in the assortment. So I have several questions:
Do you HAVE to use Organ or Janome brand needles? Can I use Schmetz? I already have a bunch of those that I use with my Bernina. All of you that use a Janome 1600P, what are your experiences with using different brands, types, or sizes of needles for piecing and free motion quilting with this machine? What about the needle threader? Is it fussy depending on what type of needle you use?
I have the Janome 1600p. I use different size needles that correspond to the size of thread I’m using. For fmq I use the purple tip needles with the blue dot bobbin case and Isocord thread. I have used a schmetz 90/14 also for fmq and it works fine. When I piece with 100 wt thread I use a size 70/11 needle of whatever brand I have.