View Single Post
Old 06-01-2022, 11:56 AM
pennyhal2

I won't sell quilts, but I will teach them how to make a quilt. I tell people that I will help them, decide on fabric, get batting, and to make a quilt. I tell them that they will make a log cabin 5x7 because no matter what mistakes they made, I could fix it. I also tell them that they can come to my house and bring a friend to help if they want. Many of people actually agreed. It's a time commitment on my part, but the way I set it up it only takes them a couple of Saturdays. One person actually brought her mother from another state to teach her how to quilt too!

I'd set up two sewing machines on the dining room table. I'd set up an ironing board and cutting board nearby. Some had never used a sewing machine before, so I'd have them practice on a couple of strips. They are all scared of the rotary cutter, but I have them wear a "wire mesh fish cutting glove" and have them cut a few pieces just to learn. My role was to go with them to buy fabric/batting with them before quilting day, cut up the fabric, iron (and show them how to iron the pieces) everything as they went along, and keep the fabric colors in the right order. I also bought some frozen Weight Watcher frozen meals for lunch, set out some cookies, drinks, etc. away from the fabric to keep energy up.

Yes, this is a big time commitment on my part. I have to admit that I loved every minute of it. The good thing is that only people that I really care about asked me to teach them. The only expense to me was the food. Some people went on to make quits on their own. They were very proud of their accomplishments!