Old 06-05-2022, 06:04 AM
JanieW

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
I haven't made a large quilt (60x70) and I'm a bit afraid to at this time. I see so many I'd like to make but I think I would prefer to start with a smaller version, but at the same time, I don't think I'm afraid of the patchwork size but more so the backing and quilting part of it.

How did you overcome this anxiety of putting so much time and money into a quilt then not quite getting the quilting right on a home sewing machine? I know I can sub it out but I'd rather try myself.

If you have any tricks or favorite books or ideas to help get me thru this I will be forever grateful
I’m one who wants to quilt my quilts rather than sending them to someone else. The quilting is my favourite part. I started by learning fmq on small quilts that I donated to the Special Care Nursery. They weren’t perfect but I reckoned the babies wouldn’t notice. The more I made the better I got and then I started making lap quilts. I donated them to the Cancer Care unit. After awhile I decided to get brave and made twin sized quilts. Now I can wretstle a king sized on my 11 inch throat. Leah Day videos on how to fmq on a domestic were very helpful to me.

For me it was a case of getting really comfortable with smaller quilts and then jumping in and going larger. We are all different and what is intimidating for some isn’t as much for others so we won’t all approach our challenges the same way.