View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 06:45 AM
sewingpup

My new one is a GE, the old one was a fisher-paykal. I loved that one, it used very little water, but it "showered" down on the load and the first thing I noticed after using it the first time, that my lint for each load of clothes was actually a different color instead of the "grey" all my lint used to be. but sadly, they are no longer making the washers and dryers as they are focusing on kitchen appliances per the salesperson. The other shop I checked with at the time had only speed queens, but it was the base commercial model and had very few settings? I can't exactly remember but I am thinking it only did cold washes? can that be right? anyway, the GE is more complicated to use have so many cycles and even a "stain guide" I can pick. It also seems to let me modify just about any of the cycles or make my own custom cycle and as I can easily change temperature, water levels, degree of agitation, although it does not have an agitator which I guess is a good thing if you are washing quilts. I have gotten it off balance once when washing a very thick quilt that was very heavy when it got wet. I should have thrown something else in to balance the load but when I went and redistributed the quilt, it finished just fine. I have learned that doing all washes on "towels and sheets" seems to work just fine for me and I do make sure that I do one "fill" wash cycle and one "fill" rinse cycle. The dryer has been a bit more difficult in that it is also huge and if I am doing a small load, the sensor apparently thinks the load is dry and shuts off, I do have a timed dry cycle, so I am learning to use that when I do small loads and to adjust the temperature. I don't know why they make these things so complicated now. I do enjoy the space in each of them for washing and drying my everyday quilts. Oh, and the one thing I really love about both of them is that the washing and drying time is about half of what it used to be.