View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 02:08 PM
SuzSLO

Originally Posted by peglh View Post
Oh my, that is absolutely beautiful! Do you think that they made the smaller size blocks here, as in the directions for the throw, and made enough to put them 12 across instead of 8? Because with this picture to go by, that would help me immensely, just giving ideas of where to slip in the extra blocks!
This is a quilt for my son, the pattern that he picked out, so I want it to be as nice as I can make it. Your help here is so greatly appreciated!
I think it is the smaller blocks, but I am not 100% sure. I don’t think the pattern with the larger blocks was done until after this was raffled off in 2018 (‘though, of course, many quilters resize blocks). And, I realized that this is actually 12 columns wide by 10 rows long (only 114 full blocks and 12 half blocks) not 12 x 12. That makes the finished quilt size about 84”x 87.5”. Which may be a tad shy in length for a Queen (80 x 90 minimum is recommended).

The pattern from Patti’s website has a layout for 11 columns by 8 rows (for the king using the larger blocks). Which means only needing to get creative for the fabric combos in 1 column and 2 rows.

I’m thinking that’s what I will do: 12 columns and 10 rows in the standard block size. And because I hate cutting everything out at once, I’m going to wing it. Start making some blocks (at least as many as needed for the 11x 8 layout in the pattern), making a few extras where convenient and making additional design decisions as I go (Muttering to myself: “Based on the layout you have so far, let’s make another mountain set with a dark background and light peaks”). This is probably a sure fire way to end up with a UFO of epic proportions as I run out of fabric and/or patience!

I’m making this for my niece who just graduated. She is planning to move abroad eventually (so I thought I had lots of time to make the quilt). But she told me yesterday that she’s moving to Seattle first for at least the next year. So she’ll need a quilt. My goal is to get it done by her November birthday.