View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 06:13 PM
peglh

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I think it is the smaller blocks, but I am not 100% sure. I don’t think the pattern with the larger blocks was done until after this was raffled off in 2018 (‘though, of course, many quilters resize blocks). And, I realized that this is actually 12 columns wide by 10 rows long (only 114 full blocks and 12 half blocks) not 12 x 12. That makes the finished quilt size about 84”x 87.5”. Which may be a tad shy in length for a Queen (80 x 90 minimum is recommended).

The pattern from Patti’s website has a layout for 11 columns by 8 rows (for the king using the larger blocks). Which means only needing to get creative for the fabric combos in 1 column and 2 rows.

I’m thinking that’s what I will do: 12 columns and 10 rows in the standard block size. And because I hate cutting everything out at once, I’m going to wing it. Start making some blocks (at least as many as needed for the 11x 8 layout in the pattern), making a few extras where convenient and making additional design decisions as I go (Muttering to myself: “Based on the layout you have so far, let’s make another mountain set with a dark background and light peaks”). This is probably a sure fire way to end up with a UFO of epic proportions as I run out of fabric and/or patience!

I’m making this for my niece who just graduated. She is planning to move abroad eventually (so I thought I had lots of time to make the quilt). But she told me yesterday that she’s moving to Seattle first for at least the next year. So she’ll need a quilt. My goal is to get it done by her November birthday.
I actually bought the original Misty Pines pattern, but I may go ahead and purchase this Misted Pines pattern too, in case there are any changes. And also to have the king size to refer to.
I believe I will be trying to do something similar to what you are going to do - a queen size with smaller blocks. I am pretty sure you have a better grasp on how this is going to work though - ha!
Good luck, and hope you get it finished in time for your niece's birthday! Thanks again for all your help.