View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 07:47 AM
SuzSLO

Originally Posted by peglh View Post
I actually bought the original Misty Pines pattern, but I may go ahead and purchase this Misted Pines pattern too, in case there are any changes. And also to have the king size to refer to.
I believe I will be trying to do something similar to what you are going to do - a queen size with smaller blocks. I am pretty sure you have a better grasp on how this is going to work though - ha!
Good luck, and hope you get it finished in time for your niece's birthday! Thanks again for all your help.
Honestly, I’m not sure how much buying the Misted Pines pattern with the King option will help you. While it does add 3 columns, adding columns is the easy part: to add 4 columns to 8 shown in the pattern, just repeat or mirror the first 4 columns.

Because of the gradations from light to dark and back again, it is adding rows that is more complicated. And the Misted Pines pattern only has 8 rows, the same as Misty Pines. To main that gradation while adding 2 rows to get to 10, I would probably add 1 row of pines and 1 row of mountains with fabrics in the medium range. Adding those rows may be a little fussy (that is, choosing one block at a time, not just repeating a whole row), but shouldn’t be difficult. For example, in one column, the tree goes from the third lightest in one row to the 6th lightest in the next. Placing a 4th or 5th lightest between those as part of your added row will maintain the gradation.

I do think there has been a change in technique for the mountain blocks between the McCalls pattern and the Misted Pines pattern. I don’t have the earlier pattern, but have watched some of the QuiltAlong videos. I won’t say one technique is better than the other, but in this already complicated pattern, I might not want to switch between techniques.

Best of luck with the project. I’m off to buy some fabric today. My stash yielded only 3 of the 12 fabrics needed.