Old 06-30-2022, 01:25 PM
MaryKa

Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
I had already completed the center panel of spider web blocks and the mini star blocks (these were made from scraps left over after making a Day & Night quilt out of the light gray and purple). I wanted to incorporate the mini stars into a quilt with the spiderweb panel, but was undecided about how to incorporate them.

I had the panel up on my design board and asked my two daughters what they thought. My youngest, age 7, grabbed the mini star blocks and arranged them, alternating on-point blocks with traditionally set blocks. Then, she suggested I use the darker gray (with flecks of purple) as sashing to make it different from the original Day & Night quilt that these cast offs came from. :0 I was floored. This coming from the girl who doesn't have the patience to sit still long enough to learn her multiplication table!
Multiplication tables are Not visual. Put them up on your design board and see if that she could make a quilt pattern for you (her victory quilt) BUT all the answers must be correct. Then give her the quilt for Christmas that she was able to do the pieces correctly. I still grab a caculator for them so I really do understand the problem. Teacher is most likely Not teaching the kids how the numbers break down.

Also there is a game from playing cards that my Big Brother taught to his kids.
This is also now a quilt that my Mother made in a cartoon type quilt. You need 1 deck of cards 2-10. Put the Cards in order for 2 suits. Jack, Queen & King are given the value of 11, 12, 13. I made cards out of poster board and had the rest of the answer numbers to 25.

Now the 2 x 3 = 6 so you put the cards 2 & 3 behind each other and turn them over to see then the next card is the answer or in this case the number 6 card of the opposite color that you are using.

Hope this helps her and she gets a very special quilt just for her as she learns her math. Most likely she will be a visual learner her entire life. This is how I also learned when in school. Make it visual and fun. Her quilt directions prove her learning is more visual--even you were surprised. Grab the ball and start Tossing to her.

Last edited by MaryKa; 06-30-2022 at 01:31 PM.