Old 10-09-2022, 11:33 AM
TransportGal

Default Weird Question: Using a Lap Desk for a Small Sewing Machine

Hi!

I have decided to get back into quilting after a long hiatus from the hobby but I have some physical challenges now that make sitting at a sewing table very hard. Can you use a rolling lap desk for a small sewing machine? Also, has anyone ever done an alternative sewing machine workspace?

I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and very severe arthritis in my back and hips in the summer so I'm looking for alternative places to put a sewing machine on. I just bought a small Janome machine that I'm going to use for putting blocks together (I always hand quilt my quilts) and I was thinking that I could put it on a rolling lap desk and use it while I'm sitting in my favorite living room chair.

My mother-in-law just called me and she is going to give me an old heavy duty rolling typing table that she has in her attic to try my idea out. The machine that I bought only weighs 5 pounds so I think that the typing table could handle that kind of weight. I was also thinking that I could put some kind of non-slip material on the surface of the typing desk and the bottom of the machine so the machine doesn't slide.

What do you all think of that kind of setup?