View Single Post
Old 10-24-2022, 08:51 AM
crzypatcher

Smile

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I've finally reached the point that I'm down to a couple of small cans of the stash of the basting spray that I had. Definitely not enough for the quilt I am working on now. So, I I thought I'd go online and order another few cases as I usually do. Well, I think not. It took my breath away to see the price they were since the last time I purchased them, close to double a can, and I thought it was expensive even back then.

So, after doing some searches online for other brands, and finding them expensive as well, I think I may be going old school - back to pinning my quilt sandwiches together.

But, I had one spit thought and since I use a glue stick (Elmer's School Glue) for applique, I'm wondering if I could just use it as sparingly to hold the sandwich together, like where I would normally put pins. Is this a good idea or not? Hopefully this type won't leave marks/stains on the fabric. (it doesn't for the applique) but my applique usually isn't light colored fabric. I do DMQ with quilting rulers, so I would have to remove the pins before quilting each section. Using the stick glue would be easier if it would work to keep my sandwich together.
I could use some advice and ideas from the collective minds on a good direction to go.
I use Elmer's washable school glue to do all my basting!! I buy it by the gallon!! Use a small Elmer's squeeze bottle to mix from the gallon the glue and a small amount of water to make it easier to apply in a grid pattern. I layer batting, backing, stabilized with painters tape on the edges. Fold back backing in half, apply glue in grid pattern, use foam bush to smooth down the bumps, fold backing back in place and gently heat set. Repeat for other side. Flip over and repeat for the top. I lay them over the back of my futon in my office to dry fully. Sometimes they have set for months!! Quilt on my sweet 16 and trim and bind. Wash in machine as usual and the glue washes out completely! Would never go back to pins. I set up 2 folding 6 foot tables in the middle of my living room to accomplish this. You can use just one if that's all the room you have, or your dining room table and just baste in sections.