Old 11-02-2022, 12:34 PM
SuzSLO

Originally Posted by Belfrybat
You can do this. I attempted my first BH mystery when I was a brand new quilter back in 2012 -- Easy Street. I did one third of the pieces as I wanted a smaller quilt. My eyes would glaze over at an instruction that said something like make 228 flying geese measuring 2 x 3-1/2". But you know what? I did it! It took me almost three years to finish and I ended up putting one fourth of the squares in the body and used the extra squares as a border. As a newbie, I felt like I'd climbed Mount Everest of the quilting world. And the beauty of her mysteries is she walks you through step by step. And the members of this board are great at being supportive.
Belfrybat: I love your East Street quilt,

Even as an experienced quilter, I am intimidated when there there are so many pieces needed to complete a top. I find that the way Bonnie does her mystery quilts helps me to get over that mental hurdle. In most cases, each week the clue is for a particular unit — half quart triangles, flying geese, hourglass, etc— which simplifies the process for me. Yes, there are usually a lot of each required unit, but that is where I find using a wide range of fabric choices helps me keep the boredom from depiction at bay.