View Single Post
Old 11-18-2022, 09:47 AM
Peckish

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
mkc.....my Janome 1600P stitches at 1600 per minute.
I agree with the recommendation of using a size 16 or 18 for quilting. It has nothing to do with speed, and there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't use that size on a DSM.

I've owned both a Janome 1600 and a Brother 1500, they're essentially the same machine. I started out quilting on the Brother and found that I needed a size 16 or 18 to avoid skipped stitches. THAT'S the reason why you need to use larger needles. Smaller needles will flex and skip picking up the bobbin thread. A 16 or 18 is large and thick enough that it won't flex as you're moving either the quilt on a DSM, or the sew head on a longarm. And as someone else stated, 18 is standard for longarming. When I bought my Innova longarm, my dealer included 100 Groz-Beckert size 18 needles, which is also what all of my longarm friends use. For those who fret about the size of the holes, if you've ever quilted "by check", chances are very very good your quilt was quilted with a size 18 needle.

You can buy the Groz-Beckert needles on Superior's website, longarm supply sites, and sometimes quilt shops (not box stores) will carry them.