View Single Post
Old 11-22-2022, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
It looks like the the top will just screw off. I would take the top off and see if there are plastic gears in there. If Cheryl, at https://cherylsteapots2quilting.blog...-cleaning.html, is correct as to the date my guess that it probably has plastic gears. In which case it is very possible that they are cracked or broken. It is also quite possible that there are plastic gears in the bottom. My guess is that if you could find the correct parts, they could be replaced.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Good advice this. If it were me, I would take Janey's advice.

I had something similar with an Elna. The hook would not turn all the way around and the handwheel was partly stuck. Because the hook would not turn round properly, it also couldn't pick up any thread and yes, the needle would have hit the hook or the bobbin case.

It was a broken hook pinion gear. It turned into a rather enjoyable adventure to replace the gear and very inexpensive. Take a look under the machine to see what the hook is connected to you might find a broken gear. With Elna free arm machines, the top of the bed just unscrews so it's easy to see what's going on under the machine. I've no idea whether your machine is that easy to service.