View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 04:05 AM
ToBoldlyQuilt

I sew by hand, and I'm disabled, so I only make a few quilts a year. The recipients are friends who are eager to have one of my quilts, and are consulted throughout the process. I don't even select fabric until we have talked about their favourite colours. I want my quilts to express the recipient's personality, and it's an honour when I succeed. I was chatting to a friend last night about how it's almost like a very abstract form of portraiture, and they said they were moved by the quilt I'm finishing up for a mutual friend, because it's so exactly her. Joyous citrus bright colours, gently flowing curves, an organic look. Whereas for someone else, what might be just right for them is elegant geometry and more subtle colours.

I mean, I also make them according to what I want, it's a blend of the two. I'll message a friend and say, "hey, how do you feel about red linen? Also I'm kind of obsessed with triangles right now." That friend said nope to red linen, so that fabric is staying in the cupboard for next time, and I'm making him the quilt he wants. Getting into the colours and shapes he requested was an exciting challenge, and I'm so glad he was specific.

Quilts take time to make. Make sure some of that time is spent on making sure the recipient really wants a quilt, and that it's a quilt they'll love. My quilts are loved, and I get messages about them years later.
​​​​