View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 05:04 PM
ElaineCovid

I grew up with an mother who was strong willed and a talented artist (painter/watercolour/oil/pastel) . We were all afraid to compliment one of the works of hers because it was gifted to you the next holiday/birthday, whether it was to your taste or not. And if it wasn't hung soon thereafter, you got questioned as to why. To give you some scope, this woman had over 150 paintings and drawings of hers on the wall of her house and many more stacked everywhere.
I vowed I would not subject my siblings or my children to this....
Fast forward to about 10 years ago and I started quilting.... my daughter said "Mom, I'm glad you like quilting, but I"m not into flowers and pastels" (Neither was I at the time....)..
So I made a few quilts, and I gifted three to her brother,who lives quite a distance away. He loves them - one was a scrappy log cabin from a block exchange I participated in, one was a strip quilt, and the final one was one he picked out with me at a quilt store, a windowed panel quilt...
Then my daughter, when I'm showing a different quilt to friends says "Yeah, Mom's made three quilts for my brother, but not one for me!" So afterwards, we talked and I said I hadn't made a bed quilt for her because of her comment about not wanting one... so long story short, we talked about what she might like, she shopped for fabric with me, and I made her a quilt.
I have since gifted her with some placemats (unsolicited but appreciated), a lap quilt themed to her hobby (hockey) and a few other things. but any further quilts will wait until she says she wants one, and she knows that.