View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 07:56 AM
ToBoldlyQuilt

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Exactly. I was once asked to make three quilts for someone's mother, aunt, and grandmother. I have never met them. The attitude was since I gave them away. Although, I have given a quilt to a "serious" boyfriend of my niece. It just all depends.
I've made a few quilts for people I don't know well. One is the sister of a friend, whom I've met a few times, nice woman. She was pregnant and I can never resist making a baby quilt, they're so fun. And I've just made a super warm lap quilt for a friend I've known for years, but not particularly well, as she's having a hard time staying warm this winter. I had enormous fun making both quilts, and as ever, learned from the design process. The quilts are still very much appreciated, and it made us get to know each other a bit better.

I think one person said her friends had been asking about the baby quilt I made her, did I make them on commission, and I laughed and said nope. She got the quick explanation of how labour intensive these things are. As the saying goes, if I love you, I'll make a quilt for free, and if I don't love you, you couldn't possibly pay me enough. (I hand sew, and materials costs in the UK are high.)