Thread: Scrim????
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2022, 05:09 PM
MaryKa

Hang on everyone. Please understand I am NOT upset by any suggestions or ideas or questions. When I post I hope people with better knowledge about quilting than what I have answers and gives suggestions. Momma was a great quilter and I quilt but nothing like my Momman did. I need the suggestions to help me get this project finished.

I was homeless for 3 years and had my van that had a broken drive shaft but I still drove because I did NOT know it was broken until I got a flat as I entered a Sam's Club parking lot to get a set of new tires. A friend of mine who is a State Trooper was there to pick up his POV and return home off duty. The van was placed on the rack and the manager called me AND the Trooper into the garage with the news about my drive shaft. My friend asked if he would replace all my tires and then asked me where I was staying. I pointed to the van. He called for backup and the 2 of them went with me to the Red Roof Inn -- one in front and one in rear with light bars on while going 35 mph on the freeway. When we arrived they made certain I was parked and paid for 2 weeks. I was also told I better not be found driving that van on the road again. I agreed and explained I thought the stearing column fluid container had a hole because it was always leaking out. He looked at me then said I was right it has a hole the size of his fist and repeated he better not see it on the road again.

I do know what it is like to be homeless but have shelter. I also know what it is like to sleep in the barn because they didn't have an extra bed for a non-guest. I slept in an empty stall.

As to donating "what they really need" I have AND I do "donate things they really need" like food and non-food staples--paper towels, napkins and toilet paper as well as otc pain relievers. I buy food for those I see on the streets and ask my Officers to do welfare checks if there is someone in distress. These individuals also get fed by the Officers.

My church supports the many agencies that are already established to give shelter and items in need. I have several friends that are Officers and Fire Crew members and they have all said quilts are what the homeless and shelters ask for.

The next reason I'm making quilts also is I have FREE fabric given to me almost every week from the people in our quilting guild and at present I have 51 packing boxes (18" tall x 12" square size) FULL of fabric and several pieces on my dining room table. I sit in a power chair as I am also disabled so my quilts will all be machine sewed and quilted in strips from 3-5 inches as it is easier for me to work with the larger sized blocks.

Sometimes I even have free cotton/batting and they all say it is 100% cotton. It's also left overs and in mostly trash-type bags so I get no extra information about it.

I watched some quilt show on youtube that showed how to quilt individual squares anand then sew them together with 3-inch shashing between the blocks. I will try this with some blocks and striping pieces before I committ to doing a large quilt. BTY, the largest size quilt I will be making is Twin. I can make more quilts and if they have kids they can sleep next to each other and lay the quilt turned sideways to cover the kids.

As to using 100% cotton--my mother never used anything else so it's in my blood. This is why I asked about the scrim. Momma never used anything call scrim. Our cotton was puffy, had lots of seeds and the quilts were always extremely warm.

In case someone is thinking about clothing -- YES I do make clothing first if there enough fabric to make a slack and blouse set for the kids. Sometimes I get homesick for the past and even make some fancy skirts for girls. However almost all of my fabric is from quilts so it is mostly scrapes.

I didn't know they made a wool batting. Do they have this in the USA??? That might be even better at least for baby quilts.

As for sleeping bags/blankets--I don't have that kind of money and I need to do as many as possible. Also every quilt may go to shelters. I have no idea as I will not be giving the quilts to anyone except to my church. The pastors are in charge of what happens to them after I give them to the church.

ALL new and extra ideas are very welcome. Thanks to all who have posted ideas.