Thread: Boom 28 Holly
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 02:35 PM
mjpEncinitas

Originally Posted by Janice McC View Post
Question: when you quilt your tops, what is your usual stitch length? I’m going to start working with my unquilted tops and I’m not sure what is considered “normal” using a walking foot. I’m planning to stitch parallel lines more or less, not in the ditch. My inclination when working in the ditch is to take small stitches but I thinking longer would be better for parallel lines. All comments appreciated!
Using a walking foot is different than FMQ (free motion quilting on your domestic, sit down or longarm machine). You don’t need a stitch regulator when you use a walking foot. The walking foot takes care of it. I use the same stitch length I do for piecing usually but you could easily go bigger. One thing that helps is to have your quilt supported on three sides. My sewing machine is on a big table and then perpendicular to the table on my left is a small smaller sewing desk that I use to rest a big quilt on. This site by Leah Day. (I know it says FMQ site but she’s also written a book about walking foot quilting) https://freemotionproject.com/2018/0...ng-basics.html. has a good picture of the different thread lengths. Note I never bury my thread ends, She shows how to do burying, that would be for competition quilts.

Craftsy also has two very good classes about quiltig with a walking foot.

Interestingly enough FMQ is generally much faster than using a walking foot once you become proficient. (I can just see SEWBIZ zipping along on her sit down machine). You need to slow down when using a walking foot. I learned to FMQ at the same time I started learning piecing. MY FMQ is much better than my piecing as Ive done a lot of whole cloth quilts. It’s good youre starting your own quilting with an old top.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 12-07-2022 at 02:48 PM.