Old 12-08-2022, 12:42 PM
JenMo

Default Quilting Machine Suggestions for Beginner

Hi everyone,
Forgive me if this has already been addressed elsewhere, I apologize in advance (I DID search for a similar thread but didn't see any....)

I have been quilting now for about a year (as time permits) and between using my old Singer Rocketeer (piecing and some FMQ for QAYG projects) and my daughters' Brother SE1900 (for applique' and more detailed FMQ), I now have an idea of what I would like in a more quilting-oriented machine for myself (does not have to be brand new). I HAVE done some searching online but would prefer to get your suggestions, as there is so much out there and I am not sure what to believe! Everyone says to start with a list of wants/needs, so here is my list and I would love to hear specific suggestions:

MUST HAVES:
- Ability to drop feed dogs
- Speed control
- Needle-down
- Larger throat space (more than the 6.25" I have now!)
- Stitches: Straight plus blanket/zigzag for applique' (I do NOT need tons of stitches - never us them)
- Sturdy (preferably metal ) construction - especially gears (no plastic gears!)
- Reliability

NICE-TO-HAVES
- Automatic threader
- Thread cutter

Budget: I hesitate to put that here - suffice it to say something that won't break the bank, but enough to acquire a machine that will last for years.

Thanks in advance for your help :-)