Old 12-08-2022, 03:22 PM
TheMerkleFamily

I agree completely with Patrice's comments above - My Bernina is my preferred machine because it is exceptional in so many ways from the variety/quality of the stitches to the quality of the actual machine. I expect to have my Bernina for many, many, many years and it is appropriate for any type of sewing/quilting/embroidery projects I would ever desire to do.

But my 1st purchased machine was the Juki 2200 QVP Mini - I still have, use and love this machine and will never part with it. It is much more economical than the Bernina machines, sews beautifully, is metal, I swear can sew thru concrete and has all of your 'must haves' and 'nice-to-haves' except it is a straight stitch only machine. The throat space is wide & tall giving you generous room for quilting. There are several older and newer versions in the Juki TL series each having little differences but all continue to receive great reviews. Similar to the Juki TL series machines is the Brother 1500. I think Babylock has/had a similar all-metal, straight-stitch only machine, too.

There are so many different machines and I'm sure if you test drive a Bernina, Brother, Babylock, Juki, etc.. you'll notice the differences and decide what fits your needs best.

One last comment - if it weren't for the desire to have TONS of creative stitches, 9mm wide zig-zag, tons of specialty (and expensive) feet and the ability to do embroidery, I probably would still be very satisfied with just my Juki. And honestly, I don't use those extra features all that much but my Bernina is like driving a Porsche and my Juki is my Ford F-250 ready to tackle my multi layered tote bags, upholstery/home decor projects and even piece and quilt.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy!