Old 12-08-2022, 07:51 PM
sewingpup

OK, here is my thoughts. I have several machines, most of them not vintage. For actual piecing I prefer a 5.5 mm feed dog machine, not the 9mm because it is way less hassle free for me to get a good 1/4 inch seam with it and a good straight stitch. There are many nice straight stitches only machines out there that have everything you list on your wish list except for the zigzag stitch. Now, there are many machines out there that have amazing stitches for doing applique in addition to a zig zag. My Bernina 590 does an almost invisible applique stitch, a wonderful blanket stitch that I can vary the sizes on and even reverse the direction, a ladder stitch and many more. It also has a knee lift to raise the pressor foot to turn the fabric so you can keep both hands on the fabric to guide it around the applique and actually I can set it do an auto lift of the pressor foot with needle down to make it even easier to pivot. Yep the 590 is a bit pricey. If you just want a good less expensive machine to begin your quilting journey, I think I would go with a good straight stitch machine with the rest of the features you listed and add a fancier stitch machine later. I am of the opinion if you find you really enjoy quilting, one machine is never enough. So my main machines now are a little Bernina 215 which I take to classes as and do a lot of my piecing on, My Bernina 590 which can also piece with but takes a bit more fuzzing with but does a great job with the applique, free motion quilting, embroidery, and a lot of other things. And my APQS long arm which I use for the actual quilting of larger quilts. I am good!