View Single Post
Old 12-25-2022, 10:53 AM
great white

Originally Posted by 1.41 View Post
Thanks for your replies. I believe I understand what you mean about "language" when it comes to understanding machines. I've done some very basic work on my machines but nothing in your league but even with the very limited work I've done, sewing machines have started to make sense to me in ways that they didn't before. I have taken apart the bottom of a Singer 15 for cleaning and was hoping to do the same with my 319, but I can't figure out where to begin. The set up is completely different on the two machines.

On my 15, after cleaning, polishing and adjusting the pivot points I was very very surprised at how much faster and smoother the machine worked. I thought that I had it working well, but after the disassembly and cleaning, it works so smoothly that if I didn't now better I would have thought it was a rotary hook machine and not an oscillating hook.

Yes, the service manuals online are not as good as they need to be. I was however able to follow the instructions for re-setting the stitch length regulator, mine was banging away on the longest stitch, eliminate some end play and retime and ultimately change out a hook assembly. I did find part of a manual that has excellent resolution but it only covers changing the belt.
That's pretty common.

These machines are 50+ years old and there's no knowing what their previous life has been like. Smoking tar, lint, dust and even dried up oil.grease gets anywhere and everywhere and just generally gums up the works. A full tear down, cleaning reassembly, oiling and timing bring 'em back to like new and they run so much better than before a good deep cleaning. Even my 319 was gummed up in several places where the only way you were going to get it clean was a complete tear down to nuts and bolts.

All my machines usually get a complete tear down and cleaning shortly after entering through the front door. You just never know what the PO had done to it. As an example, my 331k105 was bought from a local "seamstress". She claimed she had just had it professionally serviced but it was somehow dropping stitches, so she was just selling it on. Got it home and numerous linkages were either gummed up or seized and whoever timed the hook last should probably go have their eyes checked for a stronger prescription. After a good cleaning and adjusting, it runs beautifully. I was even able to nearly double the stitch length (from 4mm to 7.5mm) with a few modifications to make it even more suitable to sew leather car upholstery.

Never underestimate the value of a good cleaning, oiling and adjusting.......