View Single Post
Old 12-26-2022, 08:38 AM
fktsewing

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
I found this machine in a local thrift store for $20 (about $20 more than I'm used to paying). I was sold 1. when I popped the top and the drive components were all metal, and 2. because the removable platform for making it a free arm is all metal as well.

This machine is from the mid 70s (that would be the 1970s, so as not to confuse it with Daselby's beautiful machines from the 1870s). I found a very good write up over here

https://pungolivinghome.com/2021/09/...ewing-machine/

(this person also has a write up about oil vs grease in Singer motors and how to tell which is which; I'm going to have to take apart some motors now).

I messed with the hand wheel for at least 5 minutes trying to figure out how to disengage it; turns out it moves in and out. This has the Kenmore super high shank with quick release lever; came with the ZZ and straight feet. There is an adapter available to make it a regular high shank for $15. There is a lever to lower the feed dogs. And it has the dual pulley drive belt system.

I had been looking for a free arm with non-rubber/plastic drive components, and I kinda like these era Kenmores.
Where do I find the adapter to make the super high shank into a high shank?