Old 01-05-2023, 12:13 PM
quiltsfor

Default Changing Techniques or steps when making a quilt

I was wondering if others do the same as I do. In finding your own technique of how to do a step, that is different from the pattern technique, but the end results being the same.

When working a pattern, or a technique, if I can’t get it to work out the way it is supposed to after watching videos if they have them, I’ll play around with it and try to come up with my own technique to try to get it to turn out the way I want, or the way it is supposed to be in the end product.

I thought about it this morning when I was looking at how I do my connecting block sashing for Quilt as you go. I didn’t really like the way I had been doing it because it was so fussy of how it always didn’t turn out by the stitching being off just by a little bit on some parts of the sashing. Just enough to be annoying.

So, I spent the morning going through a lot of scrap material, sampling and trying different measurements. Finally, I found what I was looking for, that didn’t also leave a gap between the blocks that needed extra batting put in.

I do this with other parts of quilting as well from cutting fabric, to the end product, if I’m not comfortable with any of the steps or techniques.

I guess, basically there is no wrong way, as we each have our own ways.