View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 06:27 AM
Snooze2978

Default How Do You stitch on oversized quilts?

I've been sewing quilts for a number of years and for whatever reason, they seem to be the queen and king sized so huge. My machine is on a stationary table up against the wall and nope, there is no place else I can move her either. My basement is my sewing room and it's filled to the gills.

Anyway, by the time I get all the blocks together to make the body of the quilt, it's starting to get troublesome to get it thru the machine for each row. Then once you get to the sashings and borders, you're really having problems to push it thru the machine without it dragging on the floor.

So for now while it's still on the cutting table and I've got the next whatever pinned to be stitched on, I've folded the body of the quilt starting in the center outward enough so I can still sew. It's folded widthwise and then again lengthwise so it can be either on my lap or on the side table. I unfold it as it goes thru the machine and then try to fold it again once it's thru so it's not all bunched up behind the machine. I started pinning these folds to keep the folds in tact while it's being pushed thru the machine and then turn it around, fold it up lengthwise again to stitch the other side. Hope this is understandable.

Anyway, does any one have ideas how to do it easier than this or am I doing it about the only way possible? I keep telling myself I need to make smaller quilts as I know they're so much easier but my recipents always seem to want the larger ones so I keep doing it.