View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 07:48 AM
quiltsfor

I'm a larger quilt lover. I have hand issues and its just too much to keep struggling with a large quilt over and over again. I pretty much only make Queen size quilts. So how I do it, is to do 'Quilt As you Go".

So, so much easier. The only two bigger (bigger parts of the quilt) sewing on it are: 1. When attaching rows, but I just start with the first row and follow through so that all of the weight of the quilt is on the left side, either on my sewing table with the overhang on a chair beside me. And, 2. Putting on the binding, which isn't bad because again, I keep the quilt all to the left of me and have a chair supporting the overhang to keep it off the floor and just go around the outside of the quilt. So, I only have to handle the full weight of the quilt very minimally.

Occasionally if I do borders, I'm doing them now with the edge blocks, and blocks on the first and last row for the top and bottom borders. Then when I put the blocks together, the sashing over the border area is the same fabric as the border, and then changes to what fabric I'm doing the sashing for connecting the blocks, or I might even use the same fabric for the connecting sashing as the border fabric as a design element.

Doing the "Quilt as You Go" method, all the twisting and turning with the 'quilting' (I do machine quilting with shaped quilting rulers) is done on each block by itself, before the blocks are attached to each other into a row.

These are the last two "Quilt As You Go" quilts I made. They are bedspread size - on a queen size bed here. I make them big enough for tucking in the pillows as well and have overhang on the sides like a bedspread. (the pillows aren't tucked in on the pictures here, as I left more overhand on the bottom of the bed so the picture would show the top of the quilt.)
Attached Thumbnails img_5339.jpg   img_5343.jpg  

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-06-2023 at 08:06 AM.