View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 02:15 PM
sewingpup

I am not sure if your machine sits in an actual sewing cabinet where the stitch plate of the machine is level with the cabinet top. I am unwilling to stitch big quilts where the machine is not in a proper sewing cabinet anymore Been there done that. The cabinet I have has a large drop leaf on the back which I raise when I get to stitching the rows together, so while my quilt top can still crash into the wall behind it, it has more room before it does, and I can sort of bunch it up behind the machine as I go. I also have a fairly large space to the left of the machine which handles a lot of the quilt but sometimes I will also have to keep bunching up that portion too. I have drawer that pulls out from the underside of the cabinet on my left, so I pull it out, I put the insert for my cabinet (it is a wooden piece that fits in the hole for my machine when I have it lowered into the cabinet for storage) on top of the drawer and that holds the part of the quilt to be stitched. My friend puts her ironing board in this position to help with the weight of the quilt. Before I had this cabinet, I used to enlist the help of my mom or my sister to help handle the bulk of the quilt as I stitched. I have a longarm, but if I no longer had that, I would either rent time on a long arm or simply quilt by check.