View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 04:17 AM
quiltsfor

For the last several years, I have been making quilts that consist of a fabric line. When I first started quilting, I painstakingly picked out all the fabric one by one by colors going from light to dark, hoping that designs matched etc.

If I like the fabric, or fabric line, I usually buy more than needed for the quilt, or if it came up on sale later, I would buy more of that same fabric. I like civil war era, 1930 - 1950's era, and also muted earth tones, but will reach for brighter colors from time to time.

So, I would say, that since I keep my stash more geared toward newer fabric, and tend to do clean outs from time to time to remove fabric I'm no longer in love with, I would say I mostly use new or newer fabric. Most of my stash is less than 5 years old. If I find a piece of fabric older that that, I usually know I'm just taking up space with it and send it off (donate) for someone else to love.

I do have a lot of stash, with quilts already in mind for it, but since I buy ahead - I tend to buy more than I need for the intended quilt in case I change my mind on the quilt I planned for it. If it is fabric I really like and plan to use again, I will buy it in a bolt. Now that I'm planning on only working from stash for the most part, I have a lot to choose from!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 01-14-2023 at 04:23 AM.