Old 02-26-2023, 08:56 AM
Quiltah Mama

Default Finished refurbishing the antique 150 year old quilt

img_20221228_054931085.jpgimg_20221228_060034184.jpgimg_20221228_063316765.jpg
I am going to warn everyone, this will be a photo heavy and multiple posting thread. With the restrictions of photo size, the website only allows me to load a few photos per thread, so here is the vintage/antique quilt I refurbished this winter.
I was hired to restore this for a lady who inherited it from a family member. It was her great, great grandmother's, who made it mid 1800's. I had permission to cut and disassemble it, I knew doing this would devalue the quilt, but she explained the condition it was on was of no value to her anyway. It is obviously a crazy quilt, and of course made from old clothes, curtains, sheets, and anything else fabric to add to a block. It is all hand sewn, and all turned edge piecing. The first photo is how I received it, the bright fabric was added by the ladies grandmother, I am guessing by the print, sometime 70's-80's, to help protect the tattered original topping, I cut it back to reveal the crazy quilt blocks. I then cut apart the layers, I am pretty sure the "batting" has horse hair in it. The backing is linen, and actually was on not to bad of shape. I then cut out each block.