View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 08:03 PM
sewingpup

I currently have a Bernina 475 which is a bit pricey, but I am really liking the way she stitches. Has a number of different types of utility stitches as well as some fancy stitches, letters, buttonholes. I do like it for quilting better than my Bernina 590 because it has a narrower 5.5 mm stitch which in my opinion makes it a lot better for making that 1/4-inch seam. Both models have a knee lift which I have learned to really like as I can lift the presser foot with my knee easily so I can keep both hands on my fabric to make turns and place fabric right up next to the needle and under the foot when piecing. The 590 does embroidery, the 475 does not. Both can use the Bernina Stitch Regulator, but you have to buy it separately for the 475 and it comes with the 590. I also think it is a good idea to have a dealer and a tech close to service these fancier machines. I also have a Viking Topaz 40 which I like but haven't been using as much as the Bernina's. I panicked when my older machines hit the dust at the same time and picked up too many replacements! I also have a Bernina 215 which I don't believe is made anymore. I did have a Bernina 570 but had problems with that one, so I traded her in for the 590 which so far has been great. (except that 1/4 inch seam can be fiddley at times because of the wider 9mm feed dogs)