View Single Post
Old 03-05-2023, 06:19 PM
quiltsfor

Originally Posted by Gemm View Post
Beautiful quilt, Quiltsfor, but I'm even more intrigued by what it's hanging from. How does that work? I'm imagining kind of like a pants hanger, maybe, or it's hiding nails/hooks from which the quilt is hung?
My DH is a woodworker and he made it (one of going to be three in the house).

It is two boards, each with a groove on the 'inside' of them close to the bottom of the boards for the binding part of the quilt to lay in.

On the back of the back board, there are recessed screws along the board to pull the boards together and hold the quilt tight. (recessed so that it lays flat against the wall)

Then there are three recessed hanging brackets on the back that are like keyholes where the board slides down over the large screws permanent in the wall (the screw heads sliding into the keyholes)

Then when I want to change the quilt (wall hanging) we just lift the board up and out of the screws, change the quilt and then slide it back onto the screws.

(Note: DH also used special screws to connect the two boards together, so that it can be undone and redone without damaging the wood - I have no idea what they are called.) Most hangers that we saw only had a box like groove in one of the boards, but DH liked the idea of routing rounded grooves in both boards opposite each other to more smoothly grasp the binding when the boards screwed together. All of the screws are above the grooves so that no quits will be damaged.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 03-05-2023 at 06:29 PM.