View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 08:28 AM
SuzSLO

Originally Posted by Still Sew N View Post
I am a Janome loyal but appreciate and respect the Bernina brand. I too looked at the sit down lBernina model. SInce I have a longarm (looking to upgrade), I have a fair amount of Glide thread and wanted to make sure the Bernina would accept that thread. I didn't bring the thread with me but was told my sales person to stick with the brand of thread they recommend and for the life of me, I can' t remember the brand. It was a good brand but can't remember the name. The Bernina also states in their manual to use their "red" bobbins. At that store, they were selling for $5 a piece. The sales person also highly recommended to use only Bernina bobbins. In my stock right now, I have at least 100 bobbins with Glide thread already loaded on them. So I felt maybe Bernina wasn't for me. Bernina is a great brand with years of great machines, service and reputation.
Sorry to hear you were given that advice regarding using pre-wound bobbins in a Q-series machine. The Bernina e-book for the Q-series specifically says on page 23 that pre-wound bobbins can be used: https://www.bernina.com/Bernina/medi...k-05192020.pdf. Of course, you want to make sure that it is on the correct Class M bobbin. Also, as the Q series has a separate motor for its bobbin winder — which allows you to wind the next bobbin while quilting — you may find you don’t need to purchase more pre-wound bobbins (after you have used what you already have).