View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 04:06 AM
tranum

Originally Posted by judy5cents View Post
I am on our guilds fundraising committee....our monthly dues mostly cover the cost of renting our meeting space, insurance and other guild expenses but we feel we need to fundraise to help cover the cost of our "community quilts". Members make and donate most of the fabric for the tops, the guild purchases the batting and backing. Our community quilts are donated to the cancer clinic at our hospital and people get to choose a quilt at their first treatment.

My fundraising idea is to make quilt kits , like we do for our members to make....but to sell these kits to other sewers and quilters. I am thinking a one day quilt kit sale...perhaps packaging the scraps from the kits and selling those as scrap bundles.

I know that our guild members could easily donate fabric from stash to make the kits. 100 kits at $25-30 would bring in $2,500-3,000. Kits would include free pattern and fabric to make quilt top.

My questions are ....would you go to a kit sale?. Do you think this would work?. Have you seen this done. Any comments are welcome
Our hospital has a foundation and THEY do the fundraising by holding a jewelry sale 2x a year.
I have no idea where they order the jewelry but it’s definitely nice and cheap so it sells well.
I’ve heard the sale brings in a great deal of money for the group.
All sewing supplies are purchased by the foundation. There is a well equipped sewing
room (5 machines) at the hospital & tops are made there or some sew at home. All are
40 x 56-57 so backing is never pieced.

Volunteers have their favorite days of the week. Some people only add backing & batting (pillowcase style)
Some people only add ties. Cancer patients choose their quilt. They also make “heart pillows” and bed jackets
for mastectomy patients.

Volunteers show their badge and get $8 off their food at the cafeteria, if they choose to eat. There are
Appreciation luncheons 2x a year for all hospital Volunteers.

Time to talk to your cancer unit about their contribution to this worthwhile project. They need to step up
and help since they benefit greatly from it.