View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 05:04 AM
sewingpup

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Ok. The Bernina 16Q is on sale for $6400. How much should discount be for shop's demo, which is still brand new? I haven't bought a new machine in 40 years!
I think the discount for the demo really varies among shop owners. Shop owners look at a number of factors like how long has the demo been a demo and how many stitches are on it? Is it a demo for a model that is being discontinued and replaced by a newer version? Some shop owners like to rotate the demo periodically, so the demo doesn't end up with a ton of stitches on it. The last Bernina demo I bought. still had some of the packaging on it as they had just put it out and I think I was the second person to look at it and give it a stitch out. They didn't give me anything off on it. If I hadn't taken it and waited for the "still in the box" one, I would have had to wait a bit longer as that one was in another shop 120 miles away. If I don't get a discount, I usually try for at least an accessory. I did get one with my new demo! Ha, the best "accessory" I got with a new machine was a serger! I went in to look at machines and bought me first top of the line one at the time. A Viking D1! I just got home and shop called and said "you forgot your serger". I said "what serger?" The shop owner said the one that was part of the promotion deal with the Viking D1" Oh my! The D1's screen or motherboard went out 2 years ago after many, many years of usage. It paid for itself several times over in my opinion. RIP! The serger is still here, serging was never my passion but I have used the machine and it is a basic serger with not many bells and whistles and probably will last for years yet. I did replace the knifes on it one time.