View Single Post
Old 04-15-2023, 10:55 AM
quiltsfor

When I do applique, I use Pellon 911FF Fusible Featherweight. Note: DO NOT IRON until the last step

I trace the applique design on the Pellon non-fusible side, leaving more than a seam allowance (basically roughly cut it out as you need to have room to sew on the design line you traced) then pin it on the fabric I'm using for my applique, with the non-fusible side against the right side of the fabric. Then I sew it to the fabric. Sewing right on the traced line.

Then I cut it out (fabric and fusible) leaving a quarter inch seam (smaller if I need to) but still leaving a seam allowance.

Then I cut a slit into the middle of the Pellon (careful not to cut the fabric). Then using the slit, I turn the applique right side out, smooth out the edges with a rounded stiletto if need be. This puts the fabric right side out, with the Pellon, glue/fusible side on the outside.

Then I iron it onto my fabric where I want the applique and then sew around the edges, either with a straight stitch or a decorative stitch. No fraying because the edges of the fabric are completely inside the applique.

This way, I can make my appliques as big or as small as I need to, and don't have to worry about them fraying, no matter how many times I wash them or use the quilted item. I even do this when making applique stems for flower/leaves designs.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 04-15-2023 at 10:58 AM.