View Single Post
Old 04-17-2023, 08:47 AM
KalamaQuilts

Default How old is your ironing board?

I don't know the age of my board, it was purchased at the equivalent of an estate sale by my grandmother in 1918 when she got married. So minimum of 105 years old.
I was thinking a few days ago it was getting pretty wobbly (almost dumped the iron in my lap!) so looked up what new ones were like. Between cost and "It wobbles" reviews, we decided to see what we can do to sturdy up this one.

On examination this has already been done once or twice, nails as shims in the wooden dowels and the wide end support has been moved back a few inches. It also has a serious dip, no wonder I've been thinking 'why don't my patches iron flat?"

So I've got it naked, Rob has taken measurements, and we are going to look for some new dowels, a nice 1/4" top and probably move that back support again. With the exception of the dowels the original parts will still be there so I don't think I'm creating George Washington's ax syndrome. (7 new handles 3 new heads, but sure...it's George's ax)

Anyway, anyone else got a goldie oldie?
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-ironing-board3.jpg   grandmothers-ironing-board.jpg   grandmothers-ironing-board-2.jpg