View Single Post
Old 04-19-2023, 09:24 AM
WesternWilson

Default Block Lotto Suggestions??

I confess I am addicted to the block lotto portion of our local quilt guild meetings. It is the one gambling addiction I am comfortable with!

However. I manage to win the lotto fairly often (never the ones I really, really want to : ) , right?!) and have noticed that often the blocks make pretty boring quilts when all sewn together. I have compensated for that by waiting until I have won enough lottos to pool different blocks into one quilt, usually using the row quilt setting, with the rows separated by a solid or reads-as-solid fto add drama and sparkle.

The block set for our May lotto is brilliant, railroad ties. I realized that it is fairly unusual in that a quilt made exclusively of these blocks will look great and not boring at all (photo and link below, the photo is off instagram, quilt by Beth Wells, #bessielouwells).

(fwiw I found this block worked well when using 4 1/2-5" ground flanked by 3" rails, the inserts (ties) look great when varied both in width and very slight variations in hue as well)

***So my question is:
What blocks have you found that when sewn together (as block lotto blocks tend to be) make satisfying quilts??
Attached Thumbnails railroadtiesquilt-hashtag-instagram.jpg  

Last edited by WesternWilson; 04-19-2023 at 09:26 AM.