Old 04-27-2023, 04:28 AM
sewingpup

I rarely square up anything. I do some fudging. Over time, my points have improved, my quilts look pretty square, and they are given away and all seem to be actually used. That is satisfying to me. I'd rather see one of my slightly wobbly quilts being used then seeing my perfect quilt laying in a closet somewhere deemed too good to use. One of my reasons for taking up quilting is to have fun. If I am sweating over every point and seam, it is not fun anymore. Now if you want to do only show winning quilts, that is more like an actual job and go for it!
Actually, I think I learned a lot about quilting from my Yoga teacher years ago. She always said " Don't make yourself do the pose, LET yourself do it. Big difference. Relax, over time, your skills will improve, just let them do so! And I hope you saved one of your earlier quilts. Every few years, really look at it. I smile every time I look at those wobbly seams and mixture of straight line and tying for quilting. I really did use that quilt for a long time until the fabric finally shredded and faded.

Want to add, the one thing I do, is make a couple of test blocks at the beginning and I do measure those, if they are off, I adjust my "quarter inch seam" and once a I get a couple the right size, I just stitch away. I usually do not go on to formally square them up. If I have been away from the quilt for a while and definitely if I have switched machines, I will remeasure a few once I start up again.

Last edited by sewingpup; 04-27-2023 at 04:40 AM.