View Single Post
Old 05-19-2023, 08:55 PM
ZooAnimals

Default Egyptian Queen with Hieroglyphics

This quilt has been in the cupboard for about two years waiting for a binding. It was the first quilt I have ever done (I was 79 then ) and was epic as a first starter, this is typical of me over indulging and thinking it can't be that hard. I had been tinkering with a Janome 11000 se I brought as my wife wouldn't let me use her machine. I have been interested in Ancient Egypt all my life and this would be a good theme for a quilt. I couldn't find a decent embroidery kit so I started to design something from the designs I found for sale on Etsy. The main feature is the center, this is applique at its most complex for a beginner, it has 4 panels and each has 5-9 applique overlays. The instructions were a nightmare and it took me 3 attempts to get the cat scene to an acceptable finish..Learning applique on a complex piece was traumatic, and learning to outline -tack down- trim- finish with badly described instructions. My bad as I thought it was going to be a breeze. So the Hieroglyphics features are from genuine pictures and one with several panels is called Breakfast, this is a feature along each side, and is the women and children rest of them are figures that are typical of ancient Egypt. The three borders are Lotus flowers and the blue is the Nile River with fish added randomly. The panels are 10x10 so all the designs were done as split designs as the hoop on the machine was only capable of 7x7, this also was a learning curve at the time with a lot of mistakes, another story. So this is about to be finished.
Attached Thumbnails img_5511.jpg   img_5512.jpg   img_5513.jpg   img_5514.jpg   img_5291.jpg