Thread: Sick about this
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 AM
zz-pd
Banned

Originally Posted by Ellen 1
Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
........I had gone over and over this top before deciding that I was ready to send it off for quilting and I never realized that I hadn't trimmed the dark border fabric. Now it shows underneath the lighter fabric...............
Hi Pam,
Pesonally, I like the critique that I get from entering a show. If you want the critique, I'd say go ahead and enter it. The judges will notice and comment about the dark fabric showing through, but you will also get comments regarding the quilt as a whole and there may be benefits from that critique for you. I scribe for judges and know their critiques are to help the individual improve their skills. They may tell you something else that you hadn't noticed or thought of and you will say, "ahhh-ha!"

A personal example: I had entered a quilt that I had used polka-dot fabric for the binding. I though I had been very clever and liked the "look". When I got my critique back, the comment about the binding really surprised me. (As I best remember wtihout having to look it up), the comment said to be careful when using polka-dot fabric because it made the binding look crooked.....hummmm.....when I looked at my quilt, it was staring me in the face and I had not noticed it before I read the critique......most of it looked great, but one side did look crooked becaue of the dots. :-( So glad to know that now. If I were to use polka-dots again, I'd really pay attention to my cutting and how it was laying while attachiing the binding. Ellen
that is a beautiful quilt, and so different. I like it very much. Penny